Life is short and there’s just not enough time between now and when you can’t leave the house anymore because you have to raise and/or fund live little human beings. Millennials also have the knack of wasting this precious, precious time on their phones. So, put that thing away (but not till you’re done reading) and find out the relatively easy trips you can plan to make the most out of your youth, and for joie de vivre that can last you till after the time people usually go through mid-life crisis.
1. The one where you sleep on the sand, under the stars in an unknown paradise
Preferably while holding the hand of someone you love, or really, really like.
2. The one where you don’t plan an itinerary and instead hang out with locals
It’s the best way to get around.
3. The one where you realize how tiny you are next to the rest of the world
Nature will always astound you.
4. The one where you realize how much of a noob you are next to the rest of the world
And that no matter what, life goes on.
5. The one where you stay in one place for a long time
Not to tour, but to live.
6. The one where you don’t sleep
And drink too much. Oh, the stories you will tell!
7. The one where you save up to see your favorite band
And live to forever cherish it.
8. The one where you learn new things
You might just unlock a life skill.
9. The one where you help people
And walk away with more compassion.
10. The one where you jump off things
And feel the wind (in high velocity) on your face.
11. The one where you are by yourself
To get to know the voices in your head a little better.
12. The one where you make new friends
Some to keep, others to open yourself up to transience.
13. The one where you make mistakes
That turn into serendipity.
14. The one where you re-enact your favorite book or movie
Or at least check out the place in person.
15. The one where everything is different
And all the more beautiful.
16. The one where you eat strange things
(Just so you can say you did.)
17. The one where you reconnect with an old friend
The kind who’s worth crossing borders.
18. The one you spend most of on the road
Preferably with your best friends.
19. The one where you pay for everything yourself
So you can finally call yourself a yuppie (or yuccie).
20. The one where you make things
And hopefully never stop.
21. The one where all you have is a backpack
And never feel so liberated.
22. The one where you pack up and leave at the last minute
Because who needs plans?
23. The one where you would give anything to stay
We’ll always have that place.
24. The one where you cast your fears aside
Because you can do anything (legal and culturally accepted wherever you’re going).
25. The one where you do something really cheesy
Like go to Laboracay (haha).
26. The one where you look at your hometown from a different perspective
You don’t even have to leave.
27. The one where you get to know your roots
And wander through the streets of your parents’ hometown.
28. The one where you get lost
And you keep moving.
29. The one where you lose yourself
You’ll be grateful you did.